Today’s post is all about the Leopard Print!! Leopard prints never go out of style. In fact,I believe every fashionista must own at least a piece of this print be it a dress, a top, a pair of shoes, a scarf or a bag. But how do you make it right?
I love leopard print. It can be a tricky trend to nail down for the first time since it can instantly call attention to the part of your body it appears on. It’s therefore important to ensure that you wear leopard print and not let the leopard wear you instead.
If you think about it, leopard print was more associated with The Real Housewives of New Jersey and some really tacky sense of style. Luckily now leopard print is everywhere… in fact, it’s really more of a neutral than a pattern. But let’s not forget that leopard prints can look a little tacky when styled incorrectly.
Here are a few tips on how to wear your Leopard print outfit to make sure you end up looking FAB and not DRAB.
Don’t match animal print if it’s large
Remember our post on The Art of Mixing Prints?? Choose only one large part of your outfit that’s wild. For instance, if your top is a leopard/tiger/zebra print, let the tights/skirt/pants be non-animal. If it’s your dress that has the print, then let your shoes be plain black or nude.
A touch of the same print on your footwear only works when the black, beige or white shade is dominant.
Tone your leopard print down
If your outfit is too wild, tone it down. If you wear an animal print mini dress, you can tone it down by wearing a single-colored-cardigan over your dress in color that blends well with your wild print or by carrying/wearing accessories that steals attention such as fur purse or fancy scarf. But then, their color should always be complementary.
Only match animal print if it’s accessory
If you feel the urge to go matchy, you can do so on your accessories provided they don’t clash. For example, if you wear leopard printed boots, you can take a tiny purse in leopard print. The key here is getting minimal.
Animal print? Stay single
But what I do mean is that you would never go wrong if you take only a single item of animal print, either for your top, bag, shoes or scarf, while the rest of your outfit is entirely neutrals.
Animal print and color splash
A new way to wear animal print is to team it with bright colors. Now, not everybody has the heart to apply this idea but it´s something worth a try. The key here is to go for only one single vibrant color.
Animal print with another print
To give the two prints a good contrast, for example,layer between two prints with a single colored pattern (in the same shade as of the animal print). Shades of pink, red, yellow, orange and pastels work well with leopard print too. Really, you just have to find your color.
A few Looks you can try out with the Leopard Print Pieces in your wardrobe
- Pair a leopard print blouse with burgundy pants. The result is incredibly chic.
- A leopard print dress can be super simple – just add a gold necklace and a bright bag.
- Pair Red and leopard. It’s such a bold combination.
- Pair leopard pants with a bright top, sneakers, and a cute hat for a casual but seriously cool look.
- A leopard print shirt looks great with mint pants, and a statement necklace really makes the look pop.
- A leopard blouse with black skinny jeans and black flats is a timeless look.
- Pair a Leopard print blouse, bright blazer and boyfriend jeans.
- You can wear a leopard print shirt under any color cardigan with jeans.
- For a simple and casual look, just wear a leopard cardigan over a white tee and jeans.
- For a more tough look, wear a leather jacket and cute booties with a leopard print dress.
- A denim vest worn over a leopard dress looks fresh and cute.
- Don’t be afraid to mix leopard with other prints and patterns. A striped shirt is an unexpected item to mix with a leopard skirt.
- Wear your leopard print skirt, pants or shorts with a graphic tee for a casual look.